Quinoa is something I've been wanting to try for a while now. I mean, I love rice, nuts and cereal and I make my own granola for heaven's sake!! (shhhh - don't tell anybody)
Here's a little recipe I made up on the fly today because a) I finally bought some quinoa and b) I was hungry.
Quinoa with Green Peas and Lardons
1/2 C Quinoa - well rinsed
6 Lardons (a Lardon is a small strip or cube of pork fat used in a wide variety of cuisines to flavour savory foods and salads - I cut mine into matchsticks - also, I'm partial to Oulton Farm's super-smoky bacon)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1 C chicken stock
1/2 C green peas
- cook lardons until crispy - transfer to paper towel to drain - discard fat except leave 1 Tbsp in pan
- add onion and garlic to lardons fat - sautée until onion is translucent
- add quinoa - toast in pan for two minutes, stirring occasionally - a few quinoa seeds will probably start to jump around like popcorn popping in the pan
- add stock - bring to boil then reduce heat to low - cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- remove from heat, fluff with fork and add chopped lardons and peas - serve hot or cool
Serves one as a main or two as a side. I had mine with a nice crisp glass of Ronchi di Manzano Friulano. The perfect lunch!