I joined Food Bloggers of Canada last week and was excited to see a contest for members sponsored by Summer Fresh. According to the FBC website, 15 packages were to be mailed out - 5 to bloggers in the Maritimes, 5 to bloggers in Quebec and 5 to bloggers in Ontario. I never really enter anything but I figured food and recipe development are my thing, plus, my odds are pretty good, so why the heck not?
Last Friday morning I received a Fed Ex priority package from Summer Fresh containing a press release, 5 containers of their new 'Fresh Sauces' product and a sweet little Ikea 365+ Teflon wok!!
According to the press release, 'Summer Fresh's launch of 'Fresh Sauces' introduces 'a line-up of 5 amazingly delicious flavours - 3 Peppercorn, Butter Chicken, Cranberry Madeira, Mushroom Marsala and Thai Curry. Fresh Sauces can be found in the Fresh Meat Department at all Loblaws/Atlantic Superstores in the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario beginning February 1st. Fresh Sauces can be used as marinades, stir-fry sauces, finishing sauces or for crock pot cooking.'
'We want you to use each sauce and come up with an awesome recipe for each one. Post these recipes on your blog within 2 weeks of receiving this package, we will then pick the best recipe posted and that blogger will be featured on the Food Blogger's of Canada home page!!'
My first entry uses the 3 Peppercorn Fresh Sauce. I made a grown-up mac and cheese using the 3 Peppercorn sauce, marinated steak, goat cheese and fresh thyme.
3 Peppercorn Steak Mac and Cheese
10oz beef steak - whatever cut you like - I used two 5oz sirloin steaks
2 Tbsp Worcestshire sauce
1 Tbsp coarse salt
1.5 C dry macaroni noodles
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 container Summer Fresh 3 Peppercorn Fresh Sauce
1 C grated mozzarella
113g goat cheese (one whole small log)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp fresh thyme (or more if you like)
1/2 C cornflake crumbs
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Put steaks on a plate - sprinkle with Worcestshire sauce and coarse salt - cover and place in fridge 2 hours to overnight
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil - cook macaroni to al dente, about 10 minutes - drain and rinse with cold water until pasta is cool - drain again
- Preheat oven to 350
- Trim fat from steak(s) - slice into thin strips about 1/4 inch wide - cut lengthwise into 1-inch pieces
- Heat oil in wok or sautée pan over medium heat - cook steak about 2-3 minutes until just browned on both sides
- Add whole container of Summer Fresh 3 Peppercorn Fresh Sauce, grated mozzarella, goat cheese and 1 Tbsp fresh thyme to steak - reduce heat to medium-low and cook until cheese melts - add cool cooked macaroni and stir until well combined
- Pour into baking dish (I used a 9-inch ceramic round fluted dish) - sprinkle the top with cornflake crumbs, Parmesan and 1 tsp remaining fresh thyme
- Bake 30 minutes until bubbly - broil 2-3 minutes to brown if desired
Stay tuned for my next four entries!!