I loved bacon WAY before it was cool to love bacon. And my love is definitely not a secret. I mean, come on - @baconandbaileys?
However, as much as I love bacon, I'm really not picky. I never discriminate when it comes to the pig.
Bacon, prosciutto, sausage, pork tenderloin, porchetta, baby back ribs, pancetta... I want it all.
And so, it seemed only natural, as I was slowly meandering my way through the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market on a rainy Sunday that I would be drawn to the call of the pig.
Pork Meatballs with Oregano, Feta and Olive Bread wrapped in Westphalian Ham (makes approximately 24 golf-ball sized meatballs)
100g Boulangerie La Vendéenne Olive Bread, torn to bits
1/4C Feta brine + 100g Foxhill Cheese House Feta, crumbled
700g Getaway Farm's Ground Pork
1C Shubie River's Greek Mountain Oregano, loosely packed then rough chopped
1 small or 1/2 of a large Noggin's Onion, finely chopped
1 Organically Fed Egg from Eastern Selected Farms available at Selwood Green
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
24 slices Roselane Farm's Westphalian Ham
- Preheat to 350 - line a 9x13 (or bigger if you have it) baking dish with parchment paper
- Place torn olive bread in a bowl - toss with 1/4C of Feta Brine - set aside
- With clean hands, mix feta, ground pork, oregano, and onion
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, salt and pepper together - pour over ground pork mixture and mix well with hands
- Add olive bread to pork and mix well - form into golf-ball sized meatballs - wrap each meatball with one slice of Westphalian ham
- Place in baking dish close together but not touching - bake 28-30 minutes or until cooked through (less time for smaller meatballs, more time for larger)