Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. It's Thanksgiving weekend and pumpkin is EVERYWHERE.
Well, I'm bucking the trend.
This weekend it's going to be lemon all the way at our house.
You see, when Sean takes a bite of something, looks me square in the eye and says, 'This is my favourite thing yet - EVER', I know it's a keeper (mostly because he's never said that to me, not once in five years, until today).
I used Nigella Lawson's recipe for Lemon Polenta Cake and followed it exactly. I used the recipe for Lemon Ice Cream from Epicurious and also followed it exactly. I don't know what's gotten into me - following recipes without making modifications really isn't my style.
If you love lemon as much as I do, just try even ONE of the recipes - your lemon lust will be sated I promise. Nigella refers to her recipe as 'what lemon curd would taste like in cake form'. Personally, I'm partial to the ice cream but Sean loved both.
I find recipes in magazines, books and online use too many filler words - why can't they just get to the point? It's amazing how, when you remove all of the useless lingo, a recipe can be whittled down into the most simple sounding instructions. Below, I've done just that to make your life easier.
Lemon Ice Cream
Zest of half a lemon
1/2 C lemon juice (about 1.5 lemons)
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C 35% heavy cream
1 C milk
- In a pot, over medium heat, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs, vanilla and heavy cream.
- When it starts to simmer, strain twice into a bowl, cover and chill (I always strain twice to catch all the little bits of cooked egg).
- Whisk in milk then process in your ice cream maker.
Lemon Polenta Cake
200g butter, soft
200g ground almonds
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 medium lemons, zested (for cake) and juiced (for syrup)
125g icing sugar (for syrup - also called confectioner's sugar or powdered sugar)
- Preheat 350 - butter an 8-inch cake tin and line with parchment
- Beat butter and sugar until whipped and fluffy
- In a separate bowl, mix ground almonds, polenta and baking powder
- Add 1/3 of polenta mix to butter - mix thoroughly - add an egg - mix thoroughly - do this two more times - add zest
- bake 35-40 min - leave in pan on rack to cool
Lemon Syrup for Cake
- Boil juice from your two lemons with icing sugar until suagr dissolves
- Poke holes over top of cake (I used a long needle because cake is quite moist and delicate), pour syrup over cake, cool in pan then turn out onto plate