Roasted Butternut Squash Pie Filling is better than pumpkin pie filling. There. I said it. I love this pie crust recipe by Ina Garten – it’s terrific. My pie crusts always look a little raggedy and I have long accepted I will never make a perfect-looking, beautifully braided pie crust. This butternut pie filling makes up for my lack of pie crust making skills. It’s creamy, sweet, and lightly spiced. It’s basically perfect and it it’s what’s on the inside that counts right?
This post was first published on November 16, 2014 and was last updated August 18, 2019.
Why Did The Top Of My Pie Crack?
This roasted butternut squash pie filling is very thick and it’s a bit hard to tell when it’s set. I baked my pie for 30 minutes and the top cracked. When a pie filling with eggs is overcooked it can cause cracking. Next time I will check my pie at 15 minutes and keep an eye on it. At 20 minutes the eggs in the filling should be safe to eat but please use your own judgement! If your pie does crack, just cool it on a rack and hide the cracks with whipped cream.
Looking For More Pie Recipes? Try:
Need Some Help With Pie Making? Try:
Roasted Butternut Squash Pie Filling
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Have a pre-baked pie shell ready.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce skin of butternut squash all over with a fork or the tip of a small paring knife. Place the squash in the microwave and cook for 6 minutes. Carefully remove the squash from the microwave and cut the squash into 4 segments. Place segments on the prepared baking sheet, skin side up, and roast for 1 hour. Remove roasted squash from oven and cool.
- Scoop strings and seeds from squash and discard. Peel away squash rind and discard. Place all peeled squash into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse the squash until smooth. Add eggs, sugar, flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice kosher salt, heavy cream, and vanilla to squash. Pulse in food processor to combine. Scoop the filling into the pre-baked pie crust and bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes. Cool and serve.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.