Grilled Corn Soup With Bacon uses fresh corn on the cob, which tastes so unbelievably different than canned or frozen. Fresh corn is sweet, crunchy, and loaded with flavour. A little char from the grill summons the taste of summer even when the nights are cool. A hint of smoky bacon flavour takes this grilled corn soup to the next level.
This post was first published on September 12, 2013 and was last updated September 25, 2019.
Looking For More Summer Recipes? Try:
Grilled Corn Soup with Bacon
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt plus 1 teaspoon
- 5 ears corn husks and silks removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 6 strips bacon cooked, crumbled
- Place water and 1 tablespoon salt in a large pot. Submerge husked ears of corn and let soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove corn from water and preheat grill.
- Place corn on grill and cook, about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until kernels are charred and toasty. Remove from grill and cool.
- With a sharp knife, remove grilled corn kernels from cobs. Set aside. Place cleaned corn cobs back into the pot with the water and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove cobs and discard.
- Melt butter in a sautée pan. Cook onion and garlic over medium-low heat until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Set aside 1 cup of corn kernels. Add the remaining grilled corn to the pot of corn stock. Add the sautéed onion and garlic, and milk to the pot. Bring to a light boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- With a hand blender or a stand-up blender, carefully purée the hot soup until smooth.
- Sieve the soup through a medium-mesh strainer. Press firmly on any remaining corn solids to extract all pulp from soup. Discard pulp. Add remaining salt and pepper to taste.
- Add reserved 1 cup of corn kernels, plus cooked crumbled bacon, and serve
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.