We've been pretty lucky weather-wise here in Halifax this summer. Nothing but full blown sunshine until today.
Today it is damp and gloomy and grey.
It's a Rice Pudding kind of day.
Warm, straight from the pot with a good shaving of fresh nutmeg and cinnamon on top.
Rainy Day Rice Pudding
1 Tbsp butter
3/4 C Arborio rice
1.5 C water
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 C milk + 1/2 C
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- melt butter in medium sized saucepan - sautée rice in butter 1-2 minutes - add water and salt - bring to boil - lower heat and simmer 20 minutes until water is absorbed
- add 1.5 C milk - bring to simmer - cook 20 minutes until thick and creamy - add sugar
- in small bowl whisk remaining 1/2 cup milk and the egg together - slowly add some hot rice to the milk/egg mix, a little at a time, whisking constantly until you've added 1/2 C hot rice
- pour tempered egg/milk mix into pot of rice - cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy
- remove from heat - add vanilla
- garnish with fresh grated nutmeg, cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, maple syrup, shaved chocolate or anything else you like
(recipe adapted from here)