My Mum’s simple Dutch Oven Beef Stew With Summer Savory recipe has been a staple in my kitchen for as long as I can remember. Loaded with onion, potato, and carrot it’s the ultimate weeknight comfort food! I’ve swapped water for beef stock and upped the amount of summer savory to make the beef stew even tastier.
Never miss a recipe! Follow me on:
Dutch Oven Beef Stew With Summer Savory
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless beef, cut into 1.5-inch cubes
- 4 medium onions, quartered
- 4 cups beef stock
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon dried summer savory
How to cook Dutch Oven Beef Stew With Summer Savory
- Heat oil in a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat.
- Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add cubed beef and toss in flour mixture to coat.
- Add beef and any remaining flour mixture to pre-heated pot and cook meat until browned, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add onions and water. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 1.5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots to pot. Continue to simmer until vegetables are cooked, 30-45 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water with a fork until combined. Add to stew, along with dried summer savory, and stir to combine. Bring to a light boil and cook 5 minutes more to thicken.
You can also substitute some of the carrots and potatoes for parsnips and turnip.
Use gluten-free flour to make the beef stew gluten-free.
Substitute chicken for beef, and chicken stock for beef stock to make chicken stew.
Sat. Fat (grams)