Overnight Crockpot Apple Butter will fill your house with the scents of fall – apples and spices, plus a caramel note from brown sugar. It’s a gorgeous treat dolloped on homemade granola, spooned over ice cream, or served on the side of pork roasted with rosemary. We love it in the mornings spread on whole grain toast with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
This post was first published on September 27, 2014 and was last updated July 27, 2019.
What Is Apple Butter?
It sounds weird but there is no butter in apple butter. Apple butter is a condiment made by slow cooking apples down with spices into a spread-like texture. It is used as an accompaniment to both desserts and savory dishes.
20 Apple Butter Uses:
- Serve it on the side of pork roasted with rosemary.
- Dollop it on ice cream.
- Stir it into your homemade granola.
- Serve it over pound cake with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Spread it onto toast or biscuits.
- Use it as a condiment, like ketchup, with roasted fall vegetables like squash and sweet potato.
- Spread it on a sandwich with peanut butter.
- Use apple butter as a dip for grilled shrimp.
- Spoon it onto oatmeal.
- Use it in a grilled cheese with sharp cheddar.
- Serve it on a charcuterie board as a spread.
- Use it as a base for homemade barbeque sauce.
- Add a few dollops to you favourite cream cheese icing recipe.
- Stir homemade apple butter into plain yogurt.
- Mix into mashed sweet potatoes with butter.
- We eat overnight crockpot apple butter with a spoon!
- Brush it onto chicken before grilling.
- Mix into a basic glaze to pour over cinnamon rolls.
- Serve over oven-roasted spiced pears with whipped cream on the side.
- Mix into the batter of your favourite cheesecake recipe.
Looking For More Apple Recipes? Try:
Overnight Crockpot Apple Butter
- 5 large apples peeled, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place chopped apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, and water in crockpot. Stir to coat.
- Set crockpot to low and cook apples overnight.
- The next morning stir in pumpkin pie spice, sea salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Cook 2 hours more with the lid slightly ajar. Cool and serve.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.