These sun dried tomato & olive stuffed mushrooms are a tasty option for vegan or vegetarian guests and they come together in about 20 minutes!
This post was sponsored by Atlantic Superstore, however all views and opinions are my own. I will never endorse anything I don’t use or love. Thank you for supporting brands that help make kellyneil.com possible.
Atlantic Superstore Is My Go To
I love shopping at Atlantic Superstore for so many reasons, and especially around the holidays. For instance, with the deli, Natural Value section, pharmacy, Joe Fresh, local produce, PC Insiders Collection, and more, the Superstore always has everything I need! It doesn’t matter if I’m running behind on a photo shoot, or have holiday guests arriving in 30 minutes, I always find exactly what I need every time I shop.
Simplify Your Holiday Hosting
I was excited to have been asked to prepare the food for the annual Atlantic Superstore holiday party this year! Besides making amazing new recipes from pc.ca (like these brown butter-chocolate sea salt truffles, and Chicken Tikka Masala pizza on cauliflower crust) I created three easy appetizer recipes – a kids’ charcuterie board, prosciutto wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese, and a recipe for vegan stuffed mushrooms with sun dried tomatoes and olives. These three recipes are perfect for unexpected guests, or a last-minute addition to your party, and furthermore, no one but you will ever know how easy they are!
Recipe 1 – Kids’ Charcuterie Board
As the mom of a three year old, I know one thing for sure. My daughter LOVES to snack! I thought it would be fun to create a kids’ version of a charcuterie board. Here are a few simple tips if you have youngsters visiting and want to make your own charcuterie board for kids:
- Colour – Children love bright colours! For example, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, dried apricots, and wrapped chocolates can make your snacking board bright, and fun, and draw the children in!
- Texture – A mix of crunchy and creamy is always a hit. Try a mix like baby carrots with hummus, crunchy yogurt covered pretzels, pepperoni, popcorn, cheese, and Ranch dressing for dipping.
- Healthy vs. Fun – Fill your board with healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, and whole grain crackers, but don’t forget to add treats!
- Allow Children to Serve Themselves – I place a stack of silicone muffin baking cups next to our snacking boards for kids to fill with whatever they like, and as a result, they’re always a hit.
30 Ideas For A Kids’ Charcuterie Board
If you’re looking for more inspiration for your snack board, simply choose 10 to 15 of these items and arrange them on a fun colourful platter!
- Cherry tomatoes
- Dried apricots
- Clementines (sections)
- Baby carrots
- Sliced yellow peppers
- Cucumber rounds
- Snap peas
- Pepperoni slices
- Salami slices
- Ham, cubed
- Turkey deli slices, rolled
- Mozzarella or cheddar cubes
- Whole grain crackers
- Mini bocconcini
- Ranch dressing
- Licorice twists
- Hershey’s kisses
- Mini marshmallows
- Goldfish crackers
Recipe 2 – Prosciutto Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Blue Cheese
This recipe for blue cheese stuffed dates truly couldn’t be any easier! Guests are always impressed by the sweet, salty, creamy, pungent flavours and textures. To make them you will need:
- Medjool dates
- Blue cheese of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, slit the Medjool dates halfway along their length and pop out the pits with the tip of a sharp paring knife. Use clean hands to stuff the inside of each date with blue cheese.
- Finally, wrap the outside of each date with a thin strip of prosciutto. Place dates on the prepared sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until prosciutto is crispy. Serve warm.
Recipe 3 – Sun Dried Tomato & Olive Stuffed Mushrooms
Baked stuffed mushrooms are always a favourite at parties, and the beauty is, you can stuff them with almost anything you can think of; Mushroom caps are essentially a blank canvas! I created a plant-based recipe for stuffed mushrooms for the Atlantic Superstore holiday party because, in addition to the usual meats and cheeses, I wanted a savory, flavourful option for vegetarian, vegan, or plant-based guests.
What Does Plant-Based Mean?
Not to oversimplify, but a plant-based diet is just that. Plants! Whether it’s fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, or legumes, plant-based cooking and baking consists of any ingredients that either are a plant, or come from a plant; Plant-based eating does not include any animal products. Although some plant-based diets include oils, some include either only plant-based oils like coconut, almond, or sunflower seed, or no oils at all. It’s really whatever is the best fit for you.
Looking For More Party Appetizers? Try:
- 32 mushrooms, stems intact
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup PC Plant-Based Red Pepper Cashew Dip (or other plant-based dip of your choice)
- 12 green olives, pits removed, chopped
- 8 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Gently brush dirt from fresh mushrooms and remove all stems. Reserve mushroom stems in a bowl.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with paper towel. Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sautée mushroom caps, stirring and flipping often, until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Place cooked mushroom caps on the paper towel in the 9x13 dish to absorb remaining liquid.
- While mushroom caps are cooking chop reserved mushroom stems. Add red pepper dip, chopped olives, chopped sun dried tomatoes, and minced garlic. Mix everything together and season with salt and pepper.
- With a small spoon, scoop a little red pepper-olive mixture on top of each pre-cooked mushroom cap. Set mushrooms aside.
- In a clean skillet heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook until golden and crisp, stirring often. Remove from heat and sprinkle on the top of each stuffed mushroom.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place stuffed mushrooms on the baking sheet and discard the damp paper towel from the 9x13 baking dish. Bake mushrooms until heated through, about 8-10 minutes. Broil the tops for 1 to 2 minutes more if you like a bit more colour on your breadcrumbs. Serve warm, or place bake into the 9x13 baking dish to serve later.