One bite of Cape Breton Butterscotch Pie and you won’t look back! Thick, luscious butterscotch pie filling is made with brown sugar and butter and dolloped into a pre-baked pie crust. Top yours with meringue if you like, however, we prefer whipped cream. This recipe makes one 9-inch pie or 36 2-inch pies.
This post was first published on October 20, 2015 and was last updated August 12, 2019.
Cape Breton Butterscotch Pie Is A Staple On The Island
I’ve lived in Cape Breton for eight months now and I have yet to eat butterscotch pie. A few weeks ago, I spoke about it to a local woman whom I’ve befriended.
“Butterscotch pie seems to be a thing here in Cape Breton”, I said. “I’ve never had it.”
“Oh it is a thing!” she exclaimed. “Everyone here is raised eating Butterscotch Pie!”
“Do you have a recipe I could try?” I asked.
She sent me to talk with a friend who graciously gave me permission to share her recipe.
“The recipe is very old,” the friend said. “It was my husband’s mother’s recipe and she’s gone now. It’s been adapted over the years for the microwave but you could make the butterscotch filling in a pot with a double boiler on the stove if you want to.”
Looking For More Recipes Like This One? Try:
Cape Breton Butterscotch Pie
- 1 9-inch pie crust pre-baked and cooled (or 36 2-inch pie crusts pre-baked and cooled)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 heaping tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large microwave-safe bowl heat milk until hot, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk brown sugar and flour together.
- Add brown sugar-flour mixture, plus egg yolks, butter, and vanilla to hot milk and whisk well to combine.
- Cook in the microwave for one minute. Whisk well and repeat, cooking in one minute increments and whisking in between, until mixture is thick, about 4 to 5 minutes (cook time depends on microwave power).
- Cool butterscotch pie filling. Pour into prepared pre-baked pie shell(s) and top with whipped cream or meringue. Chill in fridge.
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.