Roasted Chickpea Tacos With Lime Yogurt Dressing And Avocado
Roasted chickpea tacos are a quick, easy, and affordable way to provide your family with the protein they need. Simple and nourishing, they are packed with flavour, colour, and texture!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
- 1 14- ounce can Graves chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup canola oil divided
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt divided
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 avocados
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
Preheat oven to 425ºF and have a baking sheet ready.
Drain and rinse canned chickpeas. Allow to sit in colander for five minutes to fully drain, removing any loose chickpea shells.
Spread chickpeas out on a clean dry tea towel. Allow chickpeas to air dry while oven is preheating, and again, remove any loose chickpea shells and discard.
When oven is ready, toss chickpeas in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon canola oil, garam masala, ground coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes until chickpeas are crisp, giving the pan a good shake after 10 minutes. Remove chickpeas from oven, set aside, and turn off oven.
Wrap corn tortillas, stacked together, in aluminum foil. Place in still-warm oven to heat while you make the lime yogurt dressing.
Place 1/4 cup canola oil, yogurt, white vinegar, lime zest and juice, sugar, pepper, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Screw lid on tightly and shake briskly for 30 seconds.
Remove corn tortillas from oven. Carefully lay out hot tortillas and top each with shredded cabbage, a drizzle of lime yogurt dressing, avocado, red onion, and roasted chickpeas. Serve tacos with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Make Ahead Instructions
1. Roast chickpeas as per recipe directions. Remove from oven, cool on pan, and place in a container with an airtight lid. Roasted chickpeas will keep in a container in the fridge for up to one week.
2. Make the lime yogurt dressing a couple of days before you need it. It will keep in a Mason jar with a tight fitting lid for up to two weeks!
3. Slice the purple cabbage and red onion up to two days ahead of time. Keep in containers in the fridge.
Make Roasted Chickpea Tacos Easier
1. Instead of using five different spices to roast your chickpeas, choose one or two spices, or your favourite spice blend.
2. Purchase store-bought tortillas.
3. Purchase your favourite citrus vinaigrette, or mash some avocado with Ranch dressing!