These roasted chickpea tacos with lime yogurt dressing and avocado are a quick, easy, and affordable way to provide your family with the protein they need. Although as a family we do eat meat, we’ve been cooking, and often preferring, plant-based recipes with beans and legumes on a weekly basis. We recently discovered roasted chickpeas for snacking and now we can’t get enough! We change up the spice blend depending on what’s in the pantry, and though roasted chickpeas are great for eating by the handful as a snack, we are loving these roasted chickpea tacos!
This post was sponsored by Graves, however all views and opinions are my own. I will never endorse anything I don’t use or love! Thank you for supporting brands that help make kellyneil.com possible.
Are Canned Chickpeas Cooked?
The beauty of canned chickpeas is that they’re already cooked and ready to go! For many chickpea recipes, all you have to do is open the can, and give the chickpeas a good rinse under cool running water. From there you can toss them into salads, make them into hummus, or add them to curry. We love this smashed chickpeas and avocado sandwich but our new favourite way to eat chickpeas is to roast them!
RELATED: Crispy Baked Baja Fish Tacos
How Do You Roast Chickpeas?
I’ve listed the exact method to roast chickpeas below in the recipe card, however, all you have to do is open a can of chickpeas, give them a good rinse under the tap, remove any loose outer shells, and air dry them while your oven preheats. Toss your rinsed and dried chickpeas with a little oil and some spices, then bake them for 20 minutes and ta da! You have a crispy, and healthy plant-based snack!
Can You Make Roasted Chickpeas Ahead Of Time?
The short answer is yes, you can roast chickpeas ahead of time, however, keep in mind they won’t retain their crispness the way a potato chip does. That being said, roasted chickpeas will keep for up to a week in the fridge and will still be delicious!
RELATED: How To Have A Taco Party
Make Ahead Instructions For Roasted Chickpea Tacos
- Roast chickpeas as per recipe directions below. Remove from oven, cool on pan, and place in a container with an airtight lid. Roasted chickpeas will keep in a container in the fridge for up to one week.
- Make the lime yogurt dressing a couple of days before you need it. It will keep in a Mason jar with a tight fitting lid for up to two weeks!
- Slice the purple cabbage and red onion up to two days ahead of time. Keep in containers in the fridge.
Make Roasted Chickpea Tacos Easier
- Instead of using five different spices to roast your chickpeas, choose one or two spices, or your favourite spice blend.
- Purchase store-bought tortillas.
- Purchase your favourite citrus vinaigrette, or mash some avocado with Ranch dressing!
Roasted Chickpea Tacos With Lime Yogurt Dressing And Avocado
- 1 14- ounce can Graves chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup canola oil divided
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt divided
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 avocados
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and have a baking sheet ready.
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas. Allow to sit in colander for five minutes to fully drain, removing any loose chickpea shells.
- Spread chickpeas out on a clean dry tea towel. Allow chickpeas to air dry while oven is preheating, and again, remove any loose chickpea shells and discard.
- When oven is ready, toss chickpeas in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon canola oil, garam masala, ground coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes until chickpeas are crisp, giving the pan a good shake after 10 minutes. Remove chickpeas from oven, set aside, and turn off oven.
- Wrap corn tortillas, stacked together, in aluminum foil. Place in still-warm oven to heat while you make the lime yogurt dressing.
- Place 1/4 cup canola oil, yogurt, white vinegar, lime zest and juice, sugar, pepper, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Screw lid on tightly and shake briskly for 30 seconds.
- Remove corn tortillas from oven. Carefully lay out hot tortillas and top each with shredded cabbage, a drizzle of lime yogurt dressing, avocado, red onion, and roasted chickpeas. Serve tacos with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
1. Roast chickpeas as per recipe directions. Remove from oven, cool on pan, and place in a container with an airtight lid. Roasted chickpeas will keep in a container in the fridge for up to one week.
2. Make the lime yogurt dressing a couple of days before you need it. It will keep in a Mason jar with a tight fitting lid for up to two weeks!
3. Slice the purple cabbage and red onion up to two days ahead of time. Keep in containers in the fridge. Make Roasted Chickpea Tacos Easier
1. Instead of using five different spices to roast your chickpeas, choose one or two spices, or your favourite spice blend.
2. Purchase store-bought tortillas.
3. Purchase your favourite citrus vinaigrette, or mash some avocado with Ranch dressing!
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see how you made out! Let me know on Instagram by tagging me @baconandbaileys and hashtag it #baconandbaileys so I can take a peek and re-share it in my Instagram stories! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.